Do you need Gamertag ideas? Perhaps you don’t like your current Gamertag, or maybe you are just starting, and you want a unique username.
Gamertags are used to identify players when they are playing online, and they are also used to identify your Xbox Live or PSN account as well as your Steam account. On a more general sense, Gamertags are the players’ virtual identity or alter ego and a pro gamer knows how crucial gamer names are in building that identity.
I have heard several gamers complain about how dull and unimaginative their Gamertags are. They want a brutally badass and awesome Gamertag but they struggle to come up with cool usernames.
Baddass Gamertags sting when you are killed or vanquished in an online game or any video game for that matter. For instance, you’re playing a round of Destiny, and you’re working your way up to unlock a special item or vehicle. Out of nowhere, a fellow player kills you. You have just lost your whole killing spree.
You’re back to square one, and you instantly feel a bit of hate and revenge for the person who shot you in the back. You happen to glance at your screen as your killer runs away, what you see is a Gamertag that will imprint on your brain for the rest of your life as they run off firing off a few victory shots.
To be honest, it’s not the fact that you were killed that stays with you; it’s the fact that their Gamertag was so brutally badass that it resonates with you. A scenario like this is what annoys a gamer. When someone with a Gamertag that says “IkillDumbGamers” kills you, logic subtly points out that you are a dumb player. This is why you must select a cool Gamertag--remember, what goes around, comes around.
The world of online games is just like the real thing in the sense that creating a sloppy Gamertag is pretty much like a social suicide. In fact, regardless of whether we are talking about online games or a simple video game, if you get killed with that terrible name, that name will go down with you--irrelevant and forgotten.
In all honesty, I equally sucked at coming up with cool Gamertags until a Call of Duty legend taught me the methods she uses to find cool Gamertag ideas.
Now, I’m going to share these techniques with you. Irrespective of what you need a username for, you will find this guide useful.
How To Find Unique Gamertags
Before we move on to techniques you can use to come up with awesome usernames for your favorite online or video games. Here are a few things to note:
Decide on what type of Gamertag you want
Do you prefer a cool Gamertag, a funny Gamertag or a cute Gamertag?
If you are going for cute, you would have a different thought process from someone that is looking for badass Gamertag ideas. If you are opting for cool Gamertags, make sure you come up with unique names that will really make a mark.
If you have ever watched a crime series, you will discover there is always a board with many pictures linked to each other. The good news is that you do not need to go that far.
- Start from your head--think of as many unique names as you can.
- Write down any good name you can think of to build up your list of Gamertag ideas.
- Write down Gamertags you admire. It turns out, some gamer names are actually inspired by other cool Gamertags.
For example, if I’m looking for cute Gamertags, I will check for cute baby names, cute nicknames, cute business names. Ideas usually come from the strangest places.
Trim your list
Now that you have a good list of awesome Gamertags, it is time to ruthlessly trim your list by eliminating any name that isn’t top-grade.
Select the perfect Gamertag
Every good thing must come to an end. Now, it’s time to choose the perfect Gamertag. Remember, you will be stuck with this name for a while, and people will refer to you by this name. Therefore, ensure you pick the best Gamertag. You can ask for help here, ask friends which one is the best fit.
Funny Gamertags Ideas
If you’re looking to portray a crazy or funny online personality, be sure to create a goofy Gamertag. To draw inspiration, you can use anything from your car to your favorite cereal. The sky is the limit when it comes to funny Gamertags.
Bellow are stupid and funny Gamertags for people who want to express their cheeky side.
Cool Gamertags Ideas
Cool Gamertags makes you wonder, why you can’t be that thoughtful or creative. Here are cool Gamertag ideas:
If you want to project an intimidating personality online, then badass Gamertags are the right choice. They will strike fear into the enemy and bring terror wherever you go. Here are some badass Gamertag ideas:
Sweet and Girly Gamertags
Using girly Gamertags don’t make you a wimp. There are more and more Girl gamers out there every day, and male gamers are likely to get killed by Girl gamers in 1v1 matches and FPS genre games. Gaming is more of a brain game than brawn or grunt. Therefore nothing stops from a girl from killing a guy’s character.
You can get Girly Gamertag ideas from anything: ponies, clouds, makeup, feminine colors. Once again, your imagination is the limit.
Tips on selecting the perfect Gamertag
Some of these names, if available, will be taken in no time. Therefore, you are going to learn how to come up with yours or modify some of the Gamertags listed above to create something more awesome. Some fantastic Gamertag ideas come from a basic understanding of wording and some general ideas that I will detail below.
- 1George R. R. Martin Technique: You know the Game of Thrones’ writer, yeah the dude that gave birth to names such as Aegon, Daenerys, Petyr, Baelish, Targaryen, Khal Drogo, Meereen. He advises that you pick what sounds right. For some of his names he combines elements (Fire and Ice), for some, he uses letters such as “ae” to name a group of characters, and he confesses to using baby naming books.
- 2Real Meaning Technique: For example, you want to use the name “Ruby.” Ruby could mean “precious, ” and that means something you do not want to lose. Rather than using a Gamertag such as “LifeIsPrecious” you could use “ProtectRuby” instead. Similarly, you can find a word and use a synonym to come up with a more creative Gamertag.
- 3Alliteration Technique: The alliteration technique is a ridiculously useful method you can use to generate interesting Gamertag ideas. Alliteration is all about repetition of consonants or vowels. For example Coca Cola, Dunkin’ Donuts, Best Buy, PayPal, Bilbo Baggins, Ruby Rose, etc.
- 4Combination Technique: George RR Martin isn’t the only person that uses this method. Have you seen The Mentalist? (The Sherlock Holmes-inspired Series), the name of the super-villain was – Red John. Also, let’s not forget the “Red Wedding” from Game of Thrones or “Captain America.” Do you sense a pattern? This technique uses a combination to form cool Gamertags. Red John (Color and First Name), Red Wedding (Color + Event), Captain America (Title + Country).
- 5Automation Technique: Rather than using fantasy name generators to pick a name, use them to generate cool username ideas instead. For example, I found a useful tool you can use to extend your ideas – Leandomainsearch. It is supposed to be for domain names (website names) but who cares? Now, you have to feed the tool with broad names such as Killer, Pink, Bang, Dynamite, Boxer. Surely, these Gamertags cannot be available, but we can use them to generate some cool Gamertags such as SustainableKiller, TangoKiller, SigmaKiller, SilverbackKiller, HighVoltageKiller.
- 6Keep it Simple: There is nothing wrong with a simple Gamertag and quite often, the simpler it is, the easier it is for players to remember you. If it is too complex, scrap it! Use cool words, Simple words, animals, and colors may sound like a bad idea when it comes to Gamertags, but when you have the right combination of two or three of the above mentions, you can end up with a resounding and exciting Gamertag that people will love.
- 7Use your first or middle name: you may be in luck, your name may not have been used previously, or you may just have to use some alterations of your name to settle on a cool sounding Gamertag that is along the lines you’re looking for.
- 8Convey your desired Online Personality: If you want a badass name, use a creative and exciting Gamertag like KillerInstinct. If you prefer a hilarious username, use something along the lines of, CrazyAntMan. Gamertags like this are always interesting and different to the general crowd of gamers out there.
- 9Use your Favorite Number: If your favorite Gamertag is unavailable, or your personal name is no longer available, try adding numbers to the start, middle or end of your Gamertag to make it a little different. Gamertags with numbers involved in them are always original
- 10Mix Capitals and lower case letters: No matter what your name, your age or your location, no doubt, someone has taken your preferred tag. But don’t lose hope, you might just need to try a different spelling, use numbers, or try capital and lower case letters in your Gamertag. CaPiTaL LeTTerS are always a good way of mixing things up; it might make you look a little stupid to some but is a great way of coming off different and exciting.
Creativity is a must when choosing your ideal Gamertag.
Therefore, try to be creative and use whatever you can to your advantage. Do not despair if your first choice is taken, be yourself and for goodness sake, don’t go around hating on people just because they have a cooler Gamertag than you!
Also, keep in mind that there is a fine line between sounding awesome and sounding like a complete idiot. Make sure you conduct some research to help you decide on what you want to be called online.
Once you have settled on an online profile name, you are unable to change your Gamertag without having to pay a small fee. So make sure you are happy with what gamer tags you choose.
Lastly, you can bounce ideas off friends, and family members about different names as they are always a great source of feedback and they can think of usernames that you may never have never crossed your mind.