Nicknames are cute, aren’t they? There’s nothing quite like finding the right nickname and putting a smile on the face of your loved one. Coming up with the right nickname is harder than it sounds. But have no worries! We’re here to help you find that perfect nickname. Today we live in an awesome time where being a geek or a nerd is celebrated. From comic books and movies to T.V. shows and video games, millions of people ardently gobble everything up with a furious passion.
If you are a new parent in this great age of geek culture, you certainly have almost infinite nickname choices for your baby. There was a time when the mentioning of popular culture icons and characters was followed by the immense sound of crickets chirping. But that isn’t the case anymore. Today an overwhelming majority of people all over the world have come to embrace their inner geeks and nerds. Today is a great day to be alive and well in this world.
How do you come up with a good nickname? It isn’t about how strongly the name references to an event or person that matters. A great nickname has to make sense and has to be appropriate for the person you are naming. Of course, for babies this isn’t the norm as nicknames for them are more about their potential rather than their individuality. Nicknames for individuals however have to be based on a number of factors such as their character, quirks, passions, likes, dislikes, resemblances etc. When done correctly, everyone around you will respond well and instantly understand the meaning of the nickname.
Here are some of the many amazing geeky or nerdy nicknames you can give for your loved ones.
Geeky and Nerdy Nicknames for Girls
1) Zelda – The only people who haven’t heard about Zelda are those who have been living under the rock that is found under the rock where other non-aware people live. For those who live above these rocks, Zelda is the video game that changed the course of digital games. If your loved one has the potential to be a legend, then Zelda is the nickname for her.
2) Ariel – Who doesn’t know the iconic character of the animated film, “The Little Mermaid”? If your loved one has red hair, then Ariel is one of the coolest nicknames you can give her.
3) Echo – Just the way it sounds is cool enough. Add to that the fact that Echo is a great character from the Daredevil comics is just icing on a delicious frosty cake. In the comics, she not only kicks ass but she is a pianist, ballerina, athlete and a professor. Wow! Talk about being gifted.
4) Leela – All hail the captain of the Planet Express spaceship from the highly popular Futurama series. In the series, she grows up believing that she is the only survivor of an alien race. Does your loved one have a strong personality that stands apart from the rest? Is she an independent and strong willed person? If so, Leela is the perfect nickname for her. Also by the way, the name Leela is a variant of Leila which means ‘night beauty’, which is just epic.
5) Veronica or Ronnie – If you grew up in the 80’s and 90’s, you know how awesome 'Archie comics' was. Veronica Lodge or Ronnie as she is affectionately called is a sassy, no nonsense, spoiled but kind hearted girl in the comics. With the resurgence of the Archie mythos through the highly popular ‘Riverdale’ T.V. series, this nickname would be a great one for your loved one especially if she is a brunette.
6) Trillian – First of all, the ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ is the best piece of fictional literature ever written in the history of humans. There is no debate on that. So what better to wink at this insanely humorous work of art than to call your loved one, ‘Trillian’? In the book, she is the queen of the nerdy girls. So really this nickname cannot get any better.
7) Sonya – If your loved one is a fighter, then there is no better nickname than Sonya. Named after the insanely popular Mortal Kombat character, people will think twice before messing with her. If your loved one is a blonde and has a fighter’s spirit and will, it is time to choose her destiny.
8) Ada – Ada Lovelace was the daughter of Lord Byron who was the first computer programmer who worked on the first mechanical computer machine invented by Charles Babbage. Their work together has created the reality we all live in today. Can you imagine a world without computers? Bet you can't think of a better nickname to give to your loved ones than to honor his legacy!
9) Coraline – If your loved one is more into weird and creepy but beautiful things, then Coraline is the perfect nickname for her. Named after the famous character created by Tim Burton, it would help to communicate to the world that she is unique and unafraid about her identity. Plus she would totally be able to pull off some awesome blue hair streaks.
10) Kara – We cannot compile a list of awesome nerdy and geeky nicknames without having including Supergirl and Battlestar Galactica. The name Kara is associated not only with Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) but also as the inhabitant of Argo City in Battlestar.
Geeky and Nerdy Nicknames for Boys
1) Arthur – Here comes the “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” reference again. Arthur is the main character in the highly popular book and if your loved one is quirky, witty and a fan of science fiction, there’s no better nickname for him.
2) Spock – Does your loved one possess a unique and strong willed individuality? Does he seem to stand apart from the rest? If so, ‘Spock’ is the best nickname you can give him. In Star Trek, Spock is the highly intelligent second mate on the Starship Enterprise. But if you watch the series, you realize that Spock is undoubtedly one of the coolest characters in the show. Also, he gets to unabashedly say “live long and prosper”.
3) Kal – A geeky and nerdy nickname list for boys cannot be done without Superman himself. Superman was born as Kal-el in the comics on planet Krypton. His parents sent him off to Earth knowing that their planet will soon destroy itself. On Earth he grows up to be Superman. If you believe your loved one has unlimited potential, then ‘Kal’ is the nickname for him.
4) Dante – Dante is the lead character in the highly stylized and popular ‘Devil May Cry’ game. Calm, cool and collected, he is the epitome of being a bad ass. Nuff said.
5) Sheldon – Sheldon is the perfect nickname for your loved one if he is insanely smart and uniquely beautiful in his own way. Just watch the Big Bang Theory on television. You will see how brilliantly alluring Sheldon is on the show though he may be abrasive and too honest at times.
6) Anakin – Geeks or Nerds will revolt if Star Wars isn’t mentioned in such a list and rightly so. Anakin Skywalker is the name of Darth Vader himself, instantly making it one of the coolest nicknames ever. Writing more about the character is kind of obsolete because there is never a need to introduce Darth Vader.
7) Zack – Not only is Zack the name of a character in the Final Fantasy VII but it also references one of the greatest visual directors of our time, Zack Snyder. If you are a fan of pop culture, comics, anime or just insanely cool stuff, there is no other director who can visualize and execute a scene better than him. Plus Zack kind of sounds inherently cool too.
8) Snow – If you have seen Game of Thrones, you know exactly who this name refers to and honestly there is no need to say more. If you haven’t seen it yet, maybe it’s time you did.
9) Stewie – If your loved one is someone who is after world domination and possesses amazing dry wit and macabre humor, then naming him after the insanely popular ‘Family Guy’ character is the way to go. “Life is after all like a box of HAND GRENADES”!
10) Altair – Named after the popular Assassin’s Creed video game character, ‘Altair’ is just one cool and epic nickname for a boy.
Here are some of the coolest geeky and nerdy nicknames for your loved ones.